Kasseri is one of my favourite greek cheeses and this pie one of the tastiest pies I ever baked. It has a cheesy gooey cream inside and a super crunchy, aromatic phyllo pastry on top! You should definately try to find real kasseri cheese in yur local greek market and make it for breakfast, brunch or even a first course in a greek oriented dinner party!
10-12 thin phyllo pastries sheets
500 gr grated kasseri cheese
50 gr butter
40 gr all purpose flour
650 ml warm milk
50 gr melted butter to drizzle over the last phyllo
1.In a medium non stick saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour and stir continyously to make a smooth mixture, for about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the warm milk gradually , whisking again until you create a a very smooth sauce exactly like bechamel sauce.
3. Add the grated cheese, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir continuoysly in order all ingredients to be well combined and set aside to be cold.
4. Drizzle some olive oil in a large baking pan and place a phyllo sheet inside the pan. You should wrinkle it in order to shrink and fit inside the baking pan. Continue tha same process, drizzling some olive oil over the phyllo, wrinkling it to shrink and covering it with another phyllo sheet.
5. After 5 phyllo sheets, you pour over the cheese/bechamel mixture and cover it with rest of the phyllo sheets, using the same method.
6. Brush the top phyllo with the melted butter and fold it carefully in order to “wrap” the pie.
7. Bake the pie in a preheated oven 170° C for 40 minutes. When the pie is ready and golden brown take out of the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting it.
Recipe in greek: Κασερόπιτα